It is about all of the above AND
Hearing and encountering God
- Strategies aimed at "getting people to church" can never reach or impact our country.
- Calling people to "become a Christian" will not do it either.
- Church growth methods have only had limited success.
- Building more church buildings is not a key to changing lives.
I do hear great stories of former youth now in full-time ministry, raising Godly families and still devoted to Jesus but for some reason my heart aches hearing stories of people who have walked away from God. I begin to question myself…
- 'where did I go wrong',
- 'what could I have done better',
- ' if only I'd spent more time with them'
- If only… If only… then maybe… they'd still love Jesus
The writer of this letter is quite upset with the people in this Church, saying they should be teaching others about the Christian faith but instead they still need someone to teach them the basics all over again. They are still on baby's milk. Why? Because they aren't acquainted with God's ways, they haven't moved onto solid food.
So in our Christian life what is solid food? It's the Bible, God's word and love letter to us. The Bible is not just a book for reading, it is a book to be studied, well considered, applied and enjoyed. Otherwise, it is like swallowing food down whole and then spitting it back up – it has no nutritional value – it has no use or enjoyment. The Bible is God's Word and it is worthy of reading.
But Paul continues by saying that it is by 'constant use' that people have 'trained themselves' (not just by others) to become mature, to grow up to eat solid food. For a time being fed by someone else is really good and healthy and ensures you survive, but there comes a time when you must learn to eat on your own.
Want to find out more, Milk to Meat conducted a survey in 2010 of Aussie Christians and the report is now available online at http://www.milktomeat.com.au/ – for FREE!!